2019 PACTESP Life/Work Challenge Award
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND DIRECTIONS
OBJECTIVETo recognize a student who has overcome challenges in realizing life/work potential.
AWARDA certificate of life/work achievement will be presented to award recipients. Additionally, $500, $300 and $200 checks will be presented to the first, second and third place award recipients respectively. These award recipients will be recognized at the PACTESP Mid-Winter Conference on Monday, March 4, 2019.
- Enrolled in the final year of an approved career and technical education program.
- Receiving support services (disabled/disadvantaged/English as a second language) during the current year.
- Evidence of a personal commitment to maximizing individual potential.
- Evidence of social skills which enhance employability.
- Evidence of a strong personal work ethic.
- Evidence of occupational competence.
NOMINATION REQUIREMENTSThe PACTESP Board recognizes the personal and professional dedication which is represented by each nomination. The Board strives to assure that each nomination is of sufficient depth to provide complete and accurate consideration. Following are the requirements for submission:
- Each nomination application should be submitted by a professional or paraeducator who works directly with the student.
- Nominators must be current PACTESP members.
- Each of the six sections on the nomination application must be answered in the spaces provided. Supporting documents may be submitted.
- Provide information which is sufficient for the review committee to evaluate the application fairly. Describe the challenge(s) the student faces (type of and specific characteristics of a disability, economic disadvantages, or language barriers) as well as how those have been overcome. Remember the committee can only form an accurate picture of the student's accomplishments if you represent the nominee clearly and completely.
- Nominee Personal Statement – Each nomination must be accompanied by a personal statement from the nominee. This statement may be a written, audio or video presentation. It is important that this presentation be a representation of the individual, not the program in which the individual is enrolled.
- Written Recommendation – Each nomination must be accompanied with written recommendation of instructor(s) and administrator(s), including the career and technical instructor and/or administrator.
- Consent must be given by the nominee and the nominee’s parent/guardian for use of pictures and information. Click here to download the Student Consent Form.
INSTRUCTIONS TO NOMINATORSProvide information which is sufficient for the review committee to evaluate the application fairly. Each of the six sections of the nomination application must be completed. Remember, the committee can only form an accurate picture of the student's accomplishments if you represent the nominee clearly and completely. Below are suggestions for completing the application:
- It is helpful to describe the student's school history and current enrollment status.
- It is helpful to describe the services provided to this student emphasizing the outcomes of those services.
- It is helpful to describe one or two instances from which the committee may determine a commitment to maximizing individual potential. It is important to provide backup documentation with letters from instructors, administrators, community persons, etc.
- It is helpful to describe the personal and social skills which the student possesses or has developed including increased independence. Again, one or two situations in which these skills are evident would be well received by the committee.
- It is helpful to describe situations in which the committee can discern a strong personal work ethic. Again, supporting documentation from employers and community individuals strengthen the application.
- It is helpful to describe the outcomes of career and technical education. This section should be accompanied by supporting documentation including competency listings, certificates of accomplishment, letters from instructors, administrators, employers and/or community individuals.
SUBMITTING STUDENT CONSENT FORM AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATIONStudent consent forms must be submitted to the Students Awards Chairperson, Diane Sobolewski. Supporting documentation can be attached to the electronic application. If any of the supporting documentation is not able to be attached electronically, hardcopy documents can be mailed or emailed with the student consent form and a copy of the submitted electronic application to:
832 Simpson Road
Indiana, PA 15701
Home (724) 349-3527
Cell (724) 388-0494
Each nomination application must be submitted by FEBRUARY 1, 2019. A confirmation email with a PDF of the completed application will be sent to the nominator.